Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Out of my Mind

       Wow!  I just finished Out of my Mind by Sharon M. Draper and it was a really great book.  The story is centered on the main character Melody Brooks and the every day trials that she faces as an eleven-year-old girl with spastic bilateral quadriplegia, also known as cerebral palsy.  Through each page we can see how Melody's disability limits only her body and not her mind.  This story was incredibly moving and I found myself cheering Melody on as she faced each and every obstacle in the book.
        Mrs. Shannon (one of Melody's teachers) reminded me of several wonderful teachers at my own school.  My hat goes to off to Mrs. Merricks-Collins, Ms. Wassmuth, Mrs. Tieben, and Ms. Williams.  I admire you and your dedication to your students!

No comments:

Post a Comment