Sunday, February 19, 2012

Teaching Theme

        We have been reading almost all nonfiction since our return from Christmas break but this week we will return to fiction.  I need to teach my students how to identify the theme of the texts they read.  I am planning on introducing theme as THE MEssage and showing my students a PowerPoint that I found online.  I also will be using some of Peter H. Reynolds's books like ish and The Dot.  Plus I have a couple of books on hold over at Barnes and Noble ready for pick up-Enemy Pie and The One.  In the years past I have used Kevin Henkes's mice books and Amazing Grace.  I am curious do you have any books that you like to use to teach theme?  Please let me know if you have a great "must use" books!!!

2 comments:

  1. Theme is so hard! I like the idea of using THE MEssage. I've posted cute word cards on our reading board with common themes that seems to help too. When students have a bunch of examples for reference, I think it's easier to get them on the right track.

    Christi =)
    Ms. Fultz's Corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I like what Beth Newingham does and I was thinking about copying her idea. My students seemed to do pretty well this week but every little bit helps!!!

      Delete