Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Charlie Brown Moment . . .

        Let me first say that I love Charlie Brown!  I love the comic strip, the movies, and everything Charles Schultz-y.  However, what I do not love is when it appears that I am teaching and have somehow transformed into Charlie Brown's teacher.  You know when she talks the audience hears "wah wah wah wah wah wah."  Yes, unfortunately this is what I must have sounded like for a majority of my students during math today. 

       Wait!  Let me start at the beginning by first saying that we do calendar math every morning and we have been collecting one cup a day to fill a quart jar.  This has been part of the daily routine for the past nine school days.  So this has been building up all through the month of February setting the stage for today's math lesson.

        Then today came and it was time for math.  We were learning about fractions greater than one.  We looked at pictures and named both the improper fraction and mixed number and we did SEVERAL together (5 problems).  Then the students were sent to go and work with their math partners and YIKES I don't know what happened?!?  It was as if for the past nine days and even during the mini lesson all they had heard was "wah wah wah wah wah wah."

         I say all of that to ask, no plead and beg for your assistance.  How do you teach mixed numbers and improper fractions?  I am hoping that you have a trick you would be willing to share. 

       

        

No comments:

Post a Comment