Monday, October 10, 2011

Comparing & Contrasting

        This week my students and I are tackling compare and contrast in Reader's Workshop.  We will be using Venn diagrams as one way for the students to show how their books, characters, etc . . . are alike and different.  Today I was chatting with a friend of mine and she said that she saw somewhere (she just couldn't remember where) that someone was calling Venn diagrams "Double Bubble Maps."  I thought that that name was much cuter so I am now adopting that name. 
        Today the kids began by comparing and contrasting a partner with the answers to a predetermined set of questions.  Tomorrow we will read Miss Nelson is Missing as we compare and contrast the very sweet Miss Nelson to the not-so-sweet Viola Swamp.  I also want to compare two texts Wemberly Worried and Alvin Ho:  Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Stuff  both have main characters that are worry warts.  I am wondering, which books do you think help to illustrate for your students how to compare and contrast?  I would love to get a master list of great books together!!!  Please share if you can add to the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment