Friday, October 7, 2011

Subtraction Success

        Today I taught my students the subtraction rhyme and it was a HUGE success!  I think that even the kids that didn't "need" the rhyme still enjoyed it and the kids that did need the rhyme have something that they can think about to remind them to regroup.
        Also, I did end up changing the rhyme just a little bit because I did not want to confuse my students - I didn't want them to think that they could only "go next door" to the tens place.  I also incorporated some hand movements.  So here is the new rhyme:

Subtraction Rhyme
Numbers the same?
Zero's the game! (we make a zero with our hands and put it up to our eye)
More on top? (point up)
No need to stop! (shake our pointer finger to say no as we also shake our hips)
More on the floor? (point down)
Go next door. (point to the left)

        I wasn't quite sure what to do for the numbers the same part of the rhyme . . . so if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.  Enjoy the rest of your Friday!!!

1 comment:

  1. thanks so much for entering the giveaway! I can tell I'm going to love following your blog!! :)

    ReplyDelete