Thursday, October 6, 2011

Regrouping Rhyme

        We are working on subtraction in math right now.  Some of my students were struggling with regrouping . . . so I searched around and found a rhyme on proteacher.org.  I have not had a chance to use it with my kiddos yet (that is the plan for tomorrow) but I thought I would share the rhyme I found tonight.

SUBTRACTION RHYME

More on top?
No need to stop!

More on the floor?
Go next door.
Get one ten.
That's ten ones more.

Numbers the same?
Zero's the game!

        I would like to tweak the rhyme just a little bit.  I am just not sure exactly what/how I want to change just yet.  Does anyone else have any tricks up their sleeves for teaching subtraction, especially with regrouping?  I would love to hear about it!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love this rhyme idea. I could see adding some kind of clapping rhyme to it for your kinestic learners. We have a teacher in our building that puts on a costume to teach it, a moo moo with a pillow for her bottom. To reinforce "Bigger bottom better borrow." The kids just laugh and comment about it the rest of the year.

    ReplyDelete