Friday, July 13, 2012

I Heart Fiction Fridays

        I have always loved Fridays but this summer I have another reason, that's right it's because of Fiction Friday!  This week I did not get as far along in my book list as I had hoped because of too much blog stalking but I did want to tell you about one of the SSYRA books that I finished, one that I started and a grown up book-sometimes I have to remind myself to read those too!
        First up, President of the WHOLE Fifth Grade by Sherri Winston.  This book is about a girl named fifth grader named Brianna Justice that has already planned out her entire future.  She wants to be a millionaire cupcake baker just like her idol and her first step is that she needs to become her fifth grade class president.  But this year there is a change there won't be five class presidents, instead there will one fifth grade president.  Brianna is super duper excited that is until the new girl nominates herself and then tries to take her spot as the president of the whole fifth grade!  This book is super cute and would be an excellent read aloud for any grade 3rd and above and perfect for 2012 with the presidential election coming up this November.  The book talks about the history of our presidents and goes through the steps of a class/school election.  As a fun tidbit since Brianna wants to be a famous cupcake chef the author share tons of great cupcake recipes that you the reader could follow which could be an awesome extension activity to celebrate completing the book with your class.  I would highly recommend this book!!!

President of the Whole Fifth Grade 

        Next up, Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George.  I haven't finished this one but let me tell you if the first six chapters are any indication of the quality of the book this one is going to be awesome.  I plan on sharing it officially next week.

Tuesdays at the Castle

        Last up the grown up book, My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult.  I read this a few summers ago because I wanted to see the movie.  This book was so great!!!  Even if you saw the movie but didn't read the book I cannot express how much you need to read this book.  The book is so much better than the movie and there is an interesting twist that is different from the movie.  As a warning you will want to have a box of tissues handy. 

My Sister's Keeper

        Thanks so much for visiting my blog and reading about my book recommendations.  I hope that you will consider reading these books and don't forget to check out The Teaching Thief for more great fiction must read books!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of having a book about class elections for the upcoming school year! What a terrific idea. Again, that one is going on my Amazon wishlist. I can't wait to read the full report on Tuesdays at the Castle. I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but I do all the time and that one LOOKS good. Finally, I have heard that My Sister's Keeper is amazing. Several people have mentioned it to me, but I haven't read it yet. Sounds like a Kindle download. Thanks again for linking up!! Happy reading and blog stalking this week!!

    Amanda
    The Teaching Thief

    ReplyDelete