Friday, August 3, 2012

Just for Fun Reads!

        This week I finished two more of this year's SSYRA books.  Both books were fun and light reads and cute for young readers and not too bad for adults either :)  If you are looking for a just for fun read either of these books would make good choices!

        The first book I read was The Fast and the Furriest by Andy Behrens.  This is a story about a coach potato boy, Kevin and his couch potato dog, Cromwell that begin training for a dog agility competition after Cromwell accidentally sees a competition on TV.  Are Kevin and Cromwell going to be able to train and win the dog agility competition or will their inner couch potatoes take over, you will have to read and find out!  This book spoke to me because my dog and I have moments of true coach potatoness.  As a warning, the book started a little slow (for me).  However, I am very stubborn and very rarely do I abandon books so I persevered and boy and I glad that I did! 

The Fast and the Furriest

        The second book I read this week was Attack of the Fluffy Bunnies by Andrea Beaty.  This book is a beginning chapter book with cute illustrations (some of them comic book-ish) and tells the story of the Rockman twins, Joules and Kevin, and how crazy things start happening after they are sent to Camp Whatsitooya.  This book is a little outrageous in a silly way but still cute and I think my 3rd graders, especially the boys, will like it so it might even make it on to the class read aloud list.  We'll see.

Attack of the Fluffy Bunnies

        If you are looking for other great reads head on over to The Teaching Thief for another installment of Fiction Friday.  Just as a warning, each week I find more and more books to my must read list.  Of course in my book this is not a bad problem to have :)    Happy reading!!!

3 comments:

  1. Great books! Fast and Furriest was the first SSYR that I read this summer. I loved it so much that when I drove past a local venue and saw that they were having an agility dog show my first thought was that I had to go -- and trust me, I really have no interest in dog shows :)

    Julie
    Math is Elementary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that I would love to see a real dog agility competition after reading this book (but certainly not before reading it). Too funny that you actually stumbled upon a competition!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of these books sound like lots of fun! I love that the boy AND the dog are couch potatoes. My dog is also a couch potato, but only because he doesn't get out as often as he should. I read another book by Andrea Beaty called Cicada Summer (awesome BTW) and it sounds totally different than this one. What a versatile writer! I will have to check it out. Thanks for linking up!!

    Amanda
    The Teaching Thief

    ReplyDelete