Friday, July 5, 2013

Fiction Fridays Week 4

        It's Friday again and I am super excited to tell you about this week's reading.  I began the week reading The Candymakers by Wendy Mass.  It is one of this year's SSYRA books and about five hundred pages long.  After a few chapters . . . I'm sad to say that I abandoned the book.  I couldn't quite get into it.  I am sure that it might be the perfect book for someone but sadly not me.  I do know that Julie over at Math is Elementary did read it and I'm sure she'll share her thoughts on the book at some point this summer.

        On the up side I did get a chance to go book shopping and included in my purchases were the first four books in The Time Warp Trio by Jon Scieszka.  This week I tackled the first book, Knights of the Kitchen Table and I loved it!  Now if you remember I'm not a big dragon, knight, castle, type book reader; however, this book may be an exception.  It was a terrific book about three friends and the adventure they go on after opening a magic book, The Book, that was given to Joe by his uncle Joe on his birthday.  You may be thinking, hmm, this sounds familiar - time traveling because of a magic book are you sure it wasn't another book in The Magic Tree House series by Mary Pope Osbourne?  Yes, even though the general idea is very similar the book is still a great read.  I can't wait to read the next three books in the series and pick up as many more as I can.  I think that this will be the perfect addition to my classroom library!  I already have a handful of readers to recommend this book to in the fall!!!


        ***Next week I am hoping to review The Fake Mustache and The One and Only Ivan.  Both of these are SSYRA books and recent additions to my home-thank you public library :)  So now don't forget to check out Andrea's Reading toward the Stars and Amanda's The Teaching Thief for other great book suggestions!

 


7 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear The Candymakers is disappointing. I will have to read that for the student book club I facilitate for this year-it's on our list. I think you'll really like the One and Only Ivan-it's a really great story!

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only heard good things about The One and Only Ivan so I am excited to read that one! I heard I will need tissues-so I'll be ready :)

      Delete
  2. Love Time Warp Trio! They are so much fun!! I always recommend those books to boys who are high readers but easily distracted because they are short, but not necessarily the easiest books to read (lots of cultural/historical references). Thanks for linking up again today. Sorry to hear about Candymakers. It took me a LONG time to learn how to abandon a book, but the truth is...there are so many wonderful books out there, that wasting your time on a book that isn't working for you, is a bad plan. Good call! :)

    Amanda

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the recommendation of The Time Warp Trio. I think that this series will be perfect for some of my boys. As for abandoning The Candymakers I was a little hesitant at first because it makes me crazy not to know how things end but I just didn't want to spend any more of my precious summer hours trying to convince myself to finish a book I wasn't enjoying. Thanks for the reassurance :)

      Delete
  3. I love Time Warp Trio. They are great reads!
    Antoinette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have a favorite? Since I was unfamiliar with the series I just started at the beginning but to be perfectly the honest all of the titles sounded great! I may have to be a rebel and read them out of order :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for linking up! I love the Time Warp Trio and am planning to introduce it to my son this summer. He loves history and will eat them up! I really like the first one the best, but they are all a lot of fun! Enjoy them!!

    Andrea
    Reading Toward the Stars

    ReplyDelete