Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Multiplication Magic (I hope)

        This post is dedicated to all of the people out there that try everything they know to help kids learn the multiplication facts.  I know when we were kids we just had to memorize them and that was that (or at least that was my 3rd grade experience).  This year was my first year teaching 3rd grade math and my first experience with trying to teach the multiplication facts.  Can I just say that my kids did really well with knowing how, when, and why we multiply but the automaticity of just knowing the facts quickly was not quite there with several of my kids.  Then today as I was perusing pinterest (I just LOVE pinterest) and I found what I hope to be the answer.  The multiplication magic that I was searching for this year but did not find.  Below is the picture of what I found, I hope that you find it helpful!!!

Multiplication tricks sheet



        *** Also, I did notice that there is not an "8s" trick or song so I tried "If You're Happy and You Know it" and I think it works.  Tell me what you think:

8, 16, 24, 32 (clap, clap)
40, 48, and 56 (clap, clap)
64 and 72
80 and 88
and last but not least 96 (clap, clap)

No comments:

Post a Comment